A suitable Windows computer for Dragon
Since Dragon is such a processing-intensive program, you will need a computer with sufficient system resources. Let me tell you the system properties of my computer:
Windows 10, Processor is Intel i7-7700, 3.6 GHz 4 cores and 16 GB RAM.
My previous computer, which I still use quite often, had Windows 10, Processor i7 with a speed of 1,9 GHz and 8 GB RAM.
The newer computer is faster, but the previous one works very well with Dragon.
Both are more than the minimum requirements that Nuance has set out for Dragon for PC as shown on the screenprint.
A suitable Mac for Dragon
According to Nuance, these are the minimum system requirements for Dragon for the Mac: Dragon Professional Individual for Mac version 6.
System Requirements (box version)
- CPU/Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or faster processor – Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 recommended
- Free hard disk space: 4GB (8 GB for the download version)
- Supported operating systems: OS X El Capitan (10.11)
- RAM: 4GB, 8GB recommended
- A DVD-ROM drive (or Internet connection for product download)
- An Internet connection for automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process) and access to online help
- A Nuance-approved microphone. Some older devices are no longer supported. See here for more information
A suitable microphone
And you will need a suitable microphone for use with speech recognition
If you find one from the hardware compatibility list of Nuance (the manufacturer of Dragon) you’re good to go. Please be aware that a good quality mic isn’t automatically suitable or use with Dragon. It’s not a matter of how good or expensive the mic is, it is just important that your microphone is suitable for Dragon.
Please read here why I do not recommend the built-in microphone of your laptop.
Personally I have positive experience with the following brands and types. This is by no means a complete list, but it gives you an idea:
- Jabra UC Voice 550 mono USB headset
- Jabra Pro 930 USB (Wireless, DECT)
- Jabra Pro 9470 (Wireless, DECT, landline/cell phone and PC combo)
- Andrea NC-181 VM USB headset
- TableMike by SpeechWare (only in very quiet environments)